The P5, P6 & P7 Orienteering Festival takes place at Vogrie Country Park on the 3rd of May 2017. This year the Festival will be open to all Primary Schools in Midlothian.
The main aims of the Festival are to:
- Have fun!
- Promote alternative physical activity in the outdoors
- Provide an opportunity for pupils to compete in the sport of orienteering
- Further increase pupils’ understanding of maps
- Experience skills for learning and skills for life
- Meet pupils from other schools
- Schools can enter P5, P6 & P7 classes
- There will be 3 different Orienteering courses suited to the ability of each class
- There will be no charge for this event
- Each school is responsible for arranging the transport of pupils to and from Vogrie Country Park
- Each class can expect to be involved in Orienteering activities for about an hour
- There will be no tuition on the day and it is expected participating students will have received tuition in their school grounds or at a CATO event
- Schools will be asked to attend either a morning or afternoon time slot within school hours
- Before or after the Orienteering Event schools can avail of other opportunities at Vogire Country Park – e.g. Orienteering warm up activities (staffed by Outdoor Learning) or Adventure Playground, Woodland walks – these should be fully organised and supervised by attending school staff
- The winner of the fastest P5 pupil, P6 pupil, P7pupil, School and Authority will be announced after the event
- To enter please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) the name of the school, the number of classes, the class size and the number of adults that will be attending by the 17th of March 2017
- Once all interested schools have replied, further information will follow
Other resources and events:
- An interesting booklet for coaching orienteering in primary schools is available from New Zealand click here to see it.